Tuesday, September 28, 2010

speaking of fish with hats

I was just checking out the upcoming Steelheads season schedule and noticed something that made me realize lackluster design is not exclusive to libraries. Working in a library, I start thinking we corner the market on ugly signs and clipart logos. But no. Check out the Victoria Salmon Kings. Their team logo (in use since 2006) looks to be a clipart crown atop the head of a clipart fish. Someone opened Microsoft Word and keyword searched "salmon" and "king" and this is the resulting love match.

That's not a logo, it's a rebus of their name. Now that we've strayed into this alternate rebus-logo universe, let's see what the Steelheads look like.
Aside from the awesomeness of a cyborg made of rebar and a floating head, this is no bueno.

Let's step it up, minor league hotties! Your logo should look as good as your players! Speaking of, I was once lucky enough to be waiting at the gate at the Boise Airport when the entirety of the Stockton Thunder came through in black polos and slacks, black duffel bags and black beards. How do I score a ride on THAT bus?

I'd draw their rebus-universe logo, but there's no clipart for high crime rates and the sound that accompanies lightning.

That was my One Thing for today, by the way. If the Salmon Kings can get away with it, so can I. Clipart rules.

2 comments:

  1. You forgot about the black suit jackets. Black. Suit. Jackets.

    And facial hair.

    My brain is officially melting- stockton thunder style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! that part of my memory clearly melted from the hotness. thank you for the refresher!

    ReplyDelete