Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fan-tastic day

I had a record-breaking fantastic day! If only I could say the same of my Green Bay Packers, who broke more of the wrong kinds of records, like number of penalties in a single game (17, the most for Green Bay in 35 years).

But it was a fantastic game. Nothing beats watching Aaron Rodgers complete 34 out of 45 passes and even run the ball in for a touchdown himself for the second time in as many weeks. Watching with my family, even my college-ball-fan parents were beginning to be drawn in by his superstar skill and doe eyes. Ok maybe I'm the one falling for the doe eyes. I generally prefer being impartial as it frees me up to truly enjoy the feats of athleticism and lucky breaks as they happen, but it's nice to have a stake in a game now and then.

Other things of note:

  • I'm still learning expressions like "double coverage"... is that what Rodgers was throwing into when he went deep with an endzone pass where there were so many guys in red and blue jostling for it, it looked like the bouquet toss at a wedding?
  • I wish we had a Devin Hester of our own to get our punt returns past the 20-yard line more often.
  • Julius Peppers was like a slippery little 6-foot-7 Penalty Fairy, causing holding calls and instigating false starts like crazy. Also, Julius Peppers may be the best name ever.
  • I love crazy man Clay Matthews, who looks like Thor and moves like the unholy lovechild of a rogue windmill and a caffeinated spider monkey.

Oh yeah. How could I almost forget my Draw One Thing?
Dear Draw One assignment: Today I practiced my hearts, flowers, butterflies and scrollwork, made it look like a teenage cheerleader's daydream threw up all over a favorite star athlete of mine, and made just a little bit of scary music play in your head.

Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment